Monday, September 28, 2009

Flashforward 1.01 Review

A: Looking back ... on Flashforward.
H: Huge potential. I love it.

A: Okay, let's review/comment on the pilot episode. (Spoilers ahead) You say you love it. Why?

H: I mean, I wasn't crying or laughing out loud or anything, I just see a lot of potential in the storylines they've started. A lot was pretty much straight out of the trailer, so at first I wasn't surprised by much ... but they brought in some great twists near the end. That security camera thing? Creeeeeeeepy.

A: Agreed. I think that was the only part that gave me any emotional attachment to the show. Other reviewers are commenting on the fact that it is a lot like LOST. But there aren't any real connections that I can see except they're both from ABC and they use some of the same actors.

H: Whoa, whoa. I beg to differ. A giant "Oceanic" billboard in the background for like 25 seconds? Plus the whole "can we change our destinies?" theme? I don't think Flashforward is too similar to LOST, but I'm happy it has some similarities. I love LOST, and I feel like Flashforward is LOST's mild-mannered younger brother.

A: You're right, I was just talking about technical things like directors and stuff.

H: Oh, OKAY. Sorry, I don't do that whole technical thing, ADRIENNE.

A: Whatever. But on your note ... anyone see that kangaroo boundin' down the street?? Polar bear in LOST, anyone? OH oh! Here's a theory... maybe a car crashed into a fence at the zoo and it was the kangaroo's cage. Yeah?

H: I'm having a hard time deciding if you're being really sarcastic or really uncreative. Change of subject: my one big complaint for the episode was that slow-mo running shot—you know the one?
A: No... but you're talking to the person who totally missed the "25-second" shot of the Oceanic billboard. All I noticed is that Charlie...oops, I mean Dominic Monaghan showed up in the trailer for next week. By the way, do you think that was a trailer for multiple episodes or just this week's? Because there was a crazy load of stuff going on.

H: Multiple episodes. I didn't see the whole trailer—kind of ran into the other room when I got kicked out of the lounge for The Office—but I know Simon (Monaghan) isn't supposed to show up for a few more episodes.

A: WHAT? Dude, that's like the main reason I'm watching this show.

H: Remember the Entertainment issue I picked up while you were browsing through the hummus?

A: You mean while I was holding freaking everything while you went to the front of the store with the cart to read magazines?! But yes, I do remember squealing over pictures of the cast when we got back.

H: Anyway. It said Dom's character is some kind of super genius who graduated from college at 14 and that he won't show up for a while. I think there was a quote that went something like, "Charlie was a boy. Simon's a man" or something cheesy like that.

A: Speaking of cheesy...you're on first name basis with "Dom" now?

H: Hey, I went through that watch-behind-the-scenes-features-on-Lord-of-the-Rings stage in junior high too, you know. But you didn't see me strutting around in a Meriadoc Brandybuck costume come Halloween.

A: Oh my gosh, we always talk about Lord of the Rings. And Jimmy Fallon. But SPEAKING of connecting Flashforward with a past obsession, Hannah has one of her own... care to elaborate?

H: Well, I assume you're referring to the Jack Davenport Factor, aka, the part of the episode where we all think "Hmm. I haven't heard that velvety voice since Kiera gave the kiss of death to the greatest Pirates of the Caribbean character in the franchise." At least, that's what I was thinking.

A: And I assume you're referring to the part where the hospital boy's dad shows up and we recognize him not only as the doctor's future lover, but Commodore Norrington!?

H: Yeah, I'm not super excited about the first title, there, but I'm excited for him to be on the show. Actually, I'm pretty excited about this whole cast. And I'm hoping John Cho doesn't bow out too soon—I was nervous he would get the axe in the first episode.

A: Yeah, I'm excited about the cast as well; it's a good one. But overall I wasn't super impressed with the first episode. I do want to continue watching it as well because I see the potential. I just felt like I had already seen the first episode because of all the previews.

H: Good point. And, audience at home, here's hoping you're watching with us. More reviews to come.

A: We'll pick back up with what we promised in our previous post: Nerd movie night complete with made-for-TV movies and Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit.

0 comments: